Of the nine 1957 250 Gran Turismo Berlinetta model Ferraris crafted between November, 1956 and July, 1957, with their distinctive fourteen louvres gracing the rear sail panels, eight survive to this day. The sole causality was crashed in 1967 by Peter Helms and later scrapped for parts by famed Ferrari aficionado Peter Niles. Carrying a Pininfarina designed body built by Scaglietti with the newest lightweight aluminum and Perspex glass encasing a scantly clad interior and equipped with a 2,953 cubic centimeter overhead cam V-12 engine with triple Weber carburetors, a four speed synchromesh manual transmission, alloy drum brakes, an independent wishbone front suspension, and semi-elliptical leaf springs on a live rear axle.
The 1957 Ferrari 250 GT was crafted to excel in the new safer Gran Turismo racing classification born in response to the tragic 1955 accident at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, and excel the Berlinetta did. With First Overall finishes at the demanding Tour de France races of 1956, 1957, 1958, and 1959, the 250 GT Berlinetta would unofficially become know at Ferrari as the “Tour de France” or “TdF” model. While Ferrari’s progressive development style and their penchant for hand crafted bodies guaranteed no two Berlinettas would be identical, the styling of these nine 1957 250 GT Berlinettas is distinctive and very sought after by automobile collectors and Ferrari enthusiasts worldwide The 1957 GT Berlinettas were designed with lowered front ends, sharply defined and nearly finned rear fenders, and a flatter, less wrapped rear window than previous Ferrari models. A prominent cold air induction scoop opens up a large portion of the 1957 Berlinetta’s long low hood, but its most defining elements are the fourteen louvres that sweep down the rear sail panels from roof line to rear fenders. Later editions of the GT would reduce the louvres to three, then one or none, making the 1957 a visual standout in the Ferrari pantheon.
The 1950 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 SS Coupe is an example of the Italian automotive manufacturer’s early post-war efforts. Like most vehicles produced shortly after World War II, the 6C 2500’s underpinnings dated prior to the war while the various coachwork and chassis were post-war efforts. The 2500 SS or “Super Sport” was the top-of-the-line variant of the 6C series, featuring a 106.3-inch wheelbase that was significantly shorter than the Turismo and Sport variants.
Several bespoke coachmakers including Ghia, and Carrozzeria Touring created unique coupe bodies for the 6C throughout its production. For instance, Carrozzeria Touring produced 36 of its Villa d’Este Coupé bodies. These bodies are also considered one of the last ever hand-made Alfa Romeo cars. The Ghia Supergioiello coupe body was the rarest of the lot, with only four built. Out of the four bodies produced by Ghia, only one featured an advanced post-war tubular chassis designed by Gilberto Columbo and manufactured by Gilco. Columbo would go on to design chassis for Maserati and Ferrari throughout the rest of the 1950s.
Underneath, the 1950 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 SS Coupe featured a 2.5-liter inline six-cylinder engine. Fitted with triple Weber carburetors for greater performance, the 2.5-liter engine produced 110 horsepower. A four-speed manual gearbox helped channel this power to the rear wheels. The 6C 2500 SS Coupe featured excellent handling and overall performance for the post-war era, thanks in large part to its independent front and rear suspension. Four wheel hydraulic drum brakes provided adequate stopping power for the era.
1950 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 SS Coupe Pictures
The 1954 Ferrari 500 Mondial Spider Series I by Pinin Farina is a sharp looking racing car with nice lines and dominated the 2.0 Liter field in its prime. The intent of the Ferrari 500 Mondial was not to come away with overall victories, but to establish a strong presence in the racing industry. As a result o it racing heritage the Ferrari 500 Mondial is a prized car for any collection.
Many in the automotive and racing industry were taken aback when Ferrari moved away from the 12 Cylinder engine in favor of a four banger. Engineer Aurelio Lampredi was convinced that he could get better performance on winding circuits by making these modifications with the engine. His thought paid off tenfold for driver Alberto Ascari and owner Enzo Ferrari.What made this beauty special was the incorporation of a rear mounted four speed manual transmission, aluminum alloy block, and a gear-driven DOHC valvetrain. To maximize performance the Type 110 Inline-4 engine was utilized along with two Weber 40 DCOA/3 carburetors. To help lighten the weight on the track, aluminum panels were placed over a steel tube.The Mondial sported double wishbone suspension in the front and De Dion type in the rear. Both suspension systems included a Transverse Leaf Spring and Houdaille Shocks. It provided a smooth and sleek ride over terrain presented and placed first in 6 out of 8 racing events under the hand of Ascari.This beauty managed to turn out 155 mph, and was certainly a contender in its class. The series however was short lived and replaced by the now infamous Testa Rossa by 1956. Such is the way it goes in the automobile industry for racing and street car alike.The classics never lose in their appeal. The 1954 Ferrari 500 Mondial Spider embodied the look and performance of excellence that people have come to expect with the Ferrari name. From the excellent coachwork from Pinn Farina and Scaglietti to the engineering prowess of Aurelio Lampredi delivered as promised.
1954 Ferrari 500 Mondial Spider Photos