The new replacement for the 599 GTB Fiorano, one of Ferrari’s oldest and most popular models, is finally here and it’s a show stopper. While some of the design is reminiscent of prior Ferrari models, the Berlinetta’s finished design is completely new, extremely functional, and has that powerful Ferrari presence.
Although this model is slightly smaller than earlier designs, the car still packs a powerful punch. The 6.3 liter V-12 engine provides an amazing 730 horsepower at 8000 RPM. This is Ferrari’s most powerful engine on the road, performing even better than the original 599xx Racer. The dual clutch gearbox allows the Berlinetta to accelerate from 0-62mph in as little as 3.1 seconds.
Due to the aluminum space frame of the car, it’s not only a touch smaller, it’s lighter. In fact, it’s a full 360 pounds lighter than the 599 GTB, which gives the F12 superior performance and handling, enhanced by the 7 speed dual clutch, which easily shifts weight to the back end of the car. There is an optional start and stop system available, which improves the Berlinetta’s fuel economy up to 30%, and reduces emissions by nearly 16%.
The design is sleek, featuring a larger front grill and front fenders that wrap, letting the hood come down the sides of the car. The “Aero Bridge” scoops, part of the design located between the cowl and the front wheel arches, is said to channel air from the front to the sides, reducing drag.
Interior features are top notch. The dash is redesigned with a sleek navigation unit. The steering column holds the switches that control the display screens. Interior colors and finishes can be customized to the owners discretion. Early looks at the new model have shown the interior covered in Frau leather with touches of trim.
The 1958 Ferrari 250 GT Berlinetta was first sold for nine thousand dollars. This beautiful car quickly became used within races and won on a number of occasions. One of these incredible cars recently sold at auction for an astonishing 1.54 million dollars proving quality is vital.
Enzo Ferrari made the decision in the 1950’s to produce racing cars for customers with the funds and desire to own such a vehicle. The Ferrari 250 Gt was a force to be reckoned with as soon as it began its first race. Winning the Tour de France on the first try was a major turning point for the 1958 Ferrari 250 GT Berlinetta. One hundred and three cars started the exceedingly difficult event and only 36 made it to the finish line. A major feat considering that professional racers were driving competing vehicles that had long dominated the racing industry.
Only 84 of the 1958 Ferrari 250 GT Berlinetta’s were ever built. The construction was overseen by Carrozzeria Scaglietti who specifically designed the vehicle for racing. This extraordinary car boasted a three liter, V12 engine with 280 horse power and had the potential to reach unbelievable speeds. The Berlinetta had a 2800mm wheelbase and was an entirely hand crafted car.
The 1958 Ferrari 250 GT Berlinetta acquired a newly designed gearbox with a driver friendly location for the shifting lever. Berlinetta’s engine obtained modifications on the cylinder heads and intake manifolds. The crank shaft and valves were given an overhaul to help increase productivity and speed. The 1958 Ferrari 250 GT Berlinetta was as luxurious as it was a complete workhorse.
In the late fifties, after the racing disaster at Le Mans in 1955, the Commission Sportive Internationale was moved to implement new rules to make sports car racing safer. Ferrari forecasted there would be a reduction in sports car capacity as a result, which lead them to design on a racing gem powered by a 3-liter, V-12 engine.
The first prototype to roll out of the production line was a four-cylinder 500 TR. Because its cam covers were painted a fire red color, they dubbed it the Testa Rossa, meaning the “red head.” The new name stuck when final production of the V-12 was finished.
There were a total of twenty-one 250 Testarossas that were built, including all its prototypes, as well as the 330 TRI/LM. The 714TR, Ferrari’s fourth Testa Rossa, was sold to racecar driver Piero Drogo, who was living in Modena. His family eventually migrated to Venezuela, where Piero took his new prized car to task and raced it extensively.
Drogo shipped it overseas, where he successfully competed in some minor European events. The Texas racer, Alan Connell, bought the 1957 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa through Luigi Chinetti in 1958. Connell also raced it extensively in the SCCA National events. It then changed several hands and was raced extensively when Connell sold it back to Chinetti.
In the early sixties, the original engine was removed and replaced by the a unit from the 0770 TR. Burnett raced it several more times before it exchanged into the hands of Robert Dusek in 1970. He restored it with most of its original specifications, including reinstalling the initial 0714 engine. The majority of original 250 TRs have been decommissioned as prized classics, acquired by sophisticated and wealthy collectors and out-of-reach to the general public.