In 1967 Chevrolet released their new Camaro, a baby brother to the already popular Chevy Corvette. As part of the first generation, this vehicle came off the production floor with a standard 3.8 L straight-6 engine, a Saginaw three speed manual transmission, and a GM body. Making their way to dealers across America, Camaros became popular and sold quickly. At the time Nickey Chevrolet of Chicago, owned by Jack and Ed Stephani, was one of the biggest and most successful Chevrolet dealers in the country. With their racing background and extensive knowledge of cars, it was only fitting that they convert the car to what is now known as the 1967 Chevrolet Nickey Camaro SS. Although the Camaro sold with performance upgrades, none was as outstanding as the Camaro created at Nickey Chevrolet.
With their racing experience and passion, Nickey transformed the Camaro and created a 427 big-block conversion through collaboration with the famous racer Bill Thomas from California. There are an estimated 14 1967 Nickey Camaro SSs that were built at the time with one becoming what is best known as the Stage III Nickey Camaro. This particular car received the all aluminum 427 ci L89 Tri-Power engine that was rated at 435 horse power. Also, it was the only Nickey Camaro to be built with the distinct color of Tahoe Turquoise. Featured in many magazines and ads, the 1967 Chevrolet Nickey Camaro SS is a muscle car that will forever live on as a legend in car history.
The 1954 Corvette changed little from the 1953 model. Some fine tuning was done, including adjusting the exhaust system to prevent exhaust from being drafted into the car and spoiling the paint job, redoing the side curtains and their trunk storage bag and coloring them to match the interior, modestly boosting horsepower of the 235.5 cubic inch straight six cylinder engine, improving the dashboard layout and the convertible top retraction mechanics, and finally offering more color choices, including the popular Pennant Blue, Sportsman Red and the previous year’s Polo White.
1954 saw Corvette production move to a St. Louis plant for an assembly run of 3,640 cars. The automotive industry’s postwar fascination with modern aeronautics stylings, evident in the front grill work and tail fins on automobiles since the late 1940s, would make an impact on the 1954 Corvette in a curious way. The Corvette design team, after a visit to an Air Force Base, would order approximately 20 aeronautic styled canopy tops to be fitted on 1954 Corvettes. Designed to mimic the domed pilot’s canopy on a fighter jet, these bubbletops were crafted from the relatively new acrylic plastic material now known as Plexiglas.
The canopies, while the stunningly styled defining element on the rarest of collectible cars, they were not the best engineering feature to come from the General Motors Corvette team. Drafty, noisy and leaky, the bubbletops magnified sunlight to make the Corvette cockpit unbearably warm. Even so, sold originally to very special customers and top dealers, the few surviving Bubbletop 1954 Corvettes are among the most prized collectible cars of all time.
1954 Chevrolet Corvette “Bubbletop” Roadster Photo Gallery
The RCR Series 3 Camaro was a joint venture between RCR and Total Performance Incorporated of Wìchita, Kansas. The “Intimidator” serial number 3 of the 5 which were produced and the only car of the series to carry the “Intimidator” name is equipped with the actual engine block and other engine components that powered Earnhardt and the No. 3 GM Goodwrench Service Plus Chevrolet Monte Carlo at several NASCAR tracks. The inspiration for RCR Series 3 Camaro came from the famous No. 3 GM Goodwrench Chevrolet race cars. Most significantly, the RCR Series 3 Camaro includes two engines, one of which is a Chevrolet SB2 block race engine built and tuned at RCR engine shop especially for this project. The other engine is an all-aluminum 427cid small block Chevy. RCR opted for Dynacorn’s beautiful body shells, licensed by GM. Beyond the body shell is an array of ZFX aircraft composite/carbon fiber body panels, including a special one-piece hood, other extreme pieces include special rocker panels, a front fascia with an integral spoiler, shaved drip rails and door locks, a rear rolled pan, custom bumpers and a NASCAR Car of Tomorrow (COT) rear wing.
Add to this flush mounted glass in back, a matching windshield with a custom logo and black Planet Color paint accented with red outlines around silver panels laid down by TPI. Other features include, Chassis Works G-Machine bolt-in frame clip with sub-frame connectors that tie to the mini-tubbed rear frame rails. This greatly improves rigidity to the unibody structure, allowing the triangulated 4-link, Hypercoil springs and Bilstein shocks to maintain the Chassis Works FAB 9 Direct Fit 9″ axle with Eaton Detroit’s Truetrac 3.55:1 gearing. Rear wheels are huge 18×12″ HRE competition wheels and BFGoodrich g-Force T/A’s, up front 18×10″ rims. As for braking, Baer’s Track System with PBR 2-piston calipers and 13×1.1″ rotors. A spectacular tribute to the Legend of Dale Earnhardt.